Wednesday 19 March 2014

Weekend Tacos


No need to buy pre-packaged taco mix.

 One of my families favourites. I double or triple the recipe. Freeze some or save some for later in the week. I don't know why but if I serve the same thing the next day, I often have resistance. My kids say "I don't like leftovers". If I wait a few days and serve it again, say like on Wednesday or Thursday they seem to forget that they had the same thing on the weekend. Never say the 'L' word.

Hope this works for your family


Taco Spice Mix

Use a glass container that holds approximately 1 1/2 to 2 cups



4 tbsp dried minced dried onion
4 tbsp chili powder
4 tsp cornstarch
3 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar or xylitol(optional)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
3 tsp beef bouillon
2 tsp dried oregano


Layer ingredients in jar in order. Seal jar and shake well. Sprinkle 3 tbsp over 1 1/2 pounds of browned ground beef or chicken. Add 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.



















Serve with chopped green/red peppers, chopped green onions, sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, chopped jalapeño peppers, lime slices, cilantro, or whatever your family likes.














Pile the stuff onto flour or corn tortillas. Yum. Happy family!











Keep jar of taco mix in sealed jar in cupboard. Print a copy of the ingredients and tape it to the jar so its easy to fill it as you need to. I'v added the directions as well, so that my older children can make this too.












Spin-off Week day Supper
Double or tripple the amount of beef and taco seasoning. Save a couple of cups for later in the week. Remember, don't call them leftovers. The seasoned meat also freezes well. No need to order in.

No comments:

Post a Comment